- Net sales increased 60.2% to $2.0 billion compared to $1.2 billion in the second quarter of fiscal 2020 due to the favorable impact from stronger consumer confidence and fewer COVID-19 restrictions, compared to the second quarter of fiscal 2020.
- Comparable sales increased 56.3% compared to a decrease of 26.7% in the second quarter of fiscal 2020, driven by a 52.5% increase in transactions and a 2.5% increase in average ticket. Compared to the second quarter of fiscal 2019, comparable sales increased 13.1%.
- Gross profit increased to $798.0 million compared to $329.0 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2020. As a percentage of net sales, gross profit increased to 40.6% compared to 26.8% in the second quarter of fiscal 2020.
- Operating income increased to $332.3 million, or 16.9% of net sales, compared to $12.8 million, or 1.1% of net sales, in the second quarter of fiscal 2020. Adjusted operating income for the second quarter of fiscal 2020 was $54.9 million, or 4.5% of net sales.
- Net income was $250.9 million compared to $8.1 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2020. Adjusted net income for the second quarter of fiscal 2020 was $41.5 million.
“The Ulta Beauty team delivered strong results for the second quarter. This performance reflects the recovery of the beauty category, investments and choices we’ve made over the last year to adapt to the market disruption and strengthen our leadership position, and the ongoing efforts of our associates to deliver great experiences for our guests. Our value proposition is strong, and we are evolving and innovating to lead in the new beauty landscape, capture additional market share, and drive profitable growth,” said Dave Kimbell, Chief Executive Officer.In the first six months of fiscal 2021, Ulta Beauty opened 35 new stores, relocated two stores, and remodeled five stores. Source: Ulta Press Release Photo Credit: Retail Insider
—About Ulta Beauty, Inc. At Ulta Beauty (NASDAQ: ULTA), the possibilities are beautiful. Ulta Beauty is the largest U.S. beauty retailer and the premier beauty destination for cosmetics, fragrance, skin care products, hair care products and salon services. In 1990, the Company reinvented the beauty retail experience by offering a new way to shop for beauty – bringing together all things beauty, all in one place. Today, Ulta Beauty operates 1,296 retail stores across 50 states and also distributes its products through its website, which includes a collection of tips, tutorials, and social content. For more information, visit www.ulta.com. Ulta Beauty was recently added to the Bloomberg Gender Equality Index, which tracks the financial performance of public companies committed to supporting gender equality through policy development, representation and transparency. More information about Ulta Beauty’s corporate responsibility efforts can be found at www.ulta.com/investor/ESG.