Ulta Beauty announced their fiscal 2019 and fourth quarter results, which included $7.4 million in net sales.
The thirteen-week fourth quarter period featured some of the following stats:
- Net sales increased 8.5% to $2,305.9 million compared to $2,124.7 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2018.
- Comparable sales increased 4.0% compared to an increase of 9.4% in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2018.
- Operating income increased 2.3% to $287.8 million, compared to $281.2 million, in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2018.
Fiscal 2019 also featured successful results:
- Net sales increased 10.1% to $7,398.1 million compared to $6,716.6 million in fiscal 2018.
- Comparable sales increased 5.0% compared to an increase of 8.1% in fiscal 2018.
- Gross profit as a percentage of net sales increased 30 basis points to 36.2% compared to 35.9% in fiscal 2018.
- Operating income increased 5.5% to $901.1 million, compared to $854.1 million in fiscal 2018.
Mary Dillon, Ulta’s Chief Executive Officer, said that she is pleased with the results, which reached the high end of the entire team’s expectations.
Ulta is currently taking action to preserve the liquidity of its 1,254 stores. On March 20, the brand closed all of its brick-and-mortar locations to help contain the spread of COVID-19.
On April 2, Ulta announced that they are adjusting their current business plan. They remain optimistic and are working diligently on a new plan for store openings, relocations and remodel projects. They hope to get as many brick and mortar properties open as they possibly can.
“We are operating with continued consideration and optimism rooted in the strength of our business model, and we look forward to the time when we can safely bring our store and salon associates back together to invite guests into Ulta Beauty stores,” noted Dillon.
Source: Ulta Business Update 4/2/20, Ulta Fourth Quarter Fiscal 2019 3/12/20
Photo Credit: Ulta on Retail Dive 3/17/20
About Ulta Beauty
At Ulta Beauty (NASDAQ: ULTA), the possibilities are beautiful. Ulta Beauty is the largest U.S. beauty retailer and the premier beauty destination for cosmetics, fragrance, skin care products, hair care products and salon services. In 1990, the company reinvented the beauty retail experience by offering a new way to shop for beauty, bringing together all things beauty, all in one place. Today, Ulta Beauty has grown to become the top national retailer offering the complete beauty experience. Ulta Beauty brings possibilities to life through the power of beauty each and every day in our stores and online with more than 25,000 products from approximately 500 well-established and emerging beauty brands across all categories and price points, including Ulta Beauty’s own private label. Ulta Beauty also offers a full-service salon in every store featuring hair, skin, brow, and make-up services. Ulta Beauty is recognized for its commitment to personalized service, fun and inviting stores and industry-leading Ultamate Rewards loyalty program. As of February 1, 2020, Ulta Beauty operates 1,254 retail stores across 50 states and also distributes its products through its website, which includes a collection of tips, tutorials, and social content. For more information, visit www.ulta.com.